Friday, March 23, 2018

UP: THE APOLOGIST

  Okay, UP is a number of songs in by this point and so far so good. I remember thinking when the album came out that The Apologist was the first misstep, but going back now I can only speculate on my reasoning, because the song isn't bad and in fact was one of the songs they played live to promote the album. The live version is really lovely. Because of the character of this song, I wonder if it's simply hard to approach and feel any empathy--although this person is clearly trying to better themselves? Maybe? Or since the tone of the album starts to change here, perhaps the turning point positioning of the song rubbed me the wrong way. That said, some of my favorite stuff is in this song: the part where the speaker calls the other person weak and later sweet is classic. However, didn't R.E.M. already write a better song with a 'sorry' chorus? And live they would play the songs back to back as a gag.



THE APOLOGIST
They call me the apologist and now that I'm at peak
You know at first it really hurt we joke about these things
I've skirted all my differences but now I'm facing up
I wanted to apologize for everything I was
So

I'm sorry, so sorry
So sorry, so sorry
I'm so sorry, so sorry
So sorry

Did you understand me right?
The people here are good
They tell me what I should have done and offer what I could
I'm good, all is good, all's well, no complaints
When I feel regret, I get down on my knees and pray

I'm sorry, (so sorry) so sorry 
(so sorry)
So sorry, (so sorry) so sorry (so sorry)
I'm so sorry, (so sorry) so sorry (so sorry)
So sorry, (so sorry) so sorry

I live a simple life unfettered by complex sweets (so sorry)
You think this isn't me? (so sorry)
Don't be weak (so sorry)
There I go (so sorry)
I'm so sorry

Thank you for being there for me
Thank you for listening, goodbye
I can forfeit selfishness I hope for you that you apply this happiness
This peacefulness
This peacefulness

I'm sorry, (so sorry) so sorry (so sorry)
So sorry, (so sorry) so sorry (so sorry)
I'm so sorry, (so sorry) so sorry (so sorry)
So sorry, (so sorry) 

I live a simple life (so sorry) (so sorry)
Unfettered by complex sweets (so sorry) (so sorry)
You think this isn't me? (so sorry)
That's so sweet (so sorry)
(so sorry) I'm so sorry 
(so sorry)

Thank you for being there for me
Thank you for listening, goodbye



   The sound of this song is VERY crunchy. The verse is mostly just Am with some overlays and I've added some below. However, because of the blending the band is doing in the studio, at times it's hard to tell when the noises are keyboard or guitar. But everything below should allow you to play the song, I tend to do the Bass Mimic for a lot of the verse to add that Em feel. Peter does some nifty stuff live that looks fun, but might be added for the sake of a show. He also plays the Post Lead Riff off of the 5th Fret, but it's SO much easier up at the 8th-10th. I love the B string part of the Lead, it's Peter's signature ever since Wolves, Lower.

THE APOLOGIST

Verse: Am
Verse Am Overlay 1 (slide the Am form up to Bm):
e|----0----------|
B|-----3---------|
G|-2>4--4-2------|
D|---------------|
A|---------------|
E|---------------|

Verse Am Overlay 2 (Bass Mimic):
e|-0---0---0--|
B|-1---1---1--|
G|-2---0---2--|
D|-2---2---2--|
A|-0---2---0--|
E|-0---0---0--|

Chorus
e|-3---5----8---10---|-3---5----8----|
B|-5---7---10---12---|-5---7---10----|
G|-5---7---10---12---|-5---7---10----|
D|-5---7---10---12---|-5---7---10----|
A|-3---5----8---10---|-3---5----8----|
E|-3---5----8---10---|-3---5----8----| 

Lead
e|--------------------------------|----------------5--------------|
B|----------8-7-5-5---------------|----------8-7-5-5--------------|
G|-2-2>4-4>5-----7-7-5-5-7h-5-4---|-2-2>4-4>5-----7-7-5-7b-7b-7b--|
D|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|
A|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|-------------------------------|

e|----------------------------------|--------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------|--------------------------------|
G|-5-7>9-7-9-7-9>10-7-10-10>12-9-12-|-5-7>9-7-9-7-9>10-7-10-10>12b---|
D|----------------------------------|--------------------------------|
A|----------------------------------|--------------------------------|
E|----------------------------------|--------------------------------|

Post Lead Riff/ Walk to Chorus
e|----------------------------8-10-8-----|-12--------|
B|-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10--10------10---|---13-10---|
G|--9--9--9--9--9--9--9--9-9-------------|
D|---------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------|

No comments:

Post a Comment