Wednesday, April 4, 2018

UP: I'M NOT OVER YOU

  This track sort of works as the bridge to the final part of the album, and I can't think of an R.E.M. album that doesn't do this to some extent--perhaps LRP through GREEN era. The personal nature of the ditty--completely performed by Michael--does open up the discussion for the last two songs to talk about loss and how we deal with trauma. Incidentally, if Michael studied guitar he could really rock a solo career!



I'M NOT OVER YOU

I feel great, I lied to save your feelings
Truth convened, my head smashed through the ceiling
I lost an arm, no one harmed, you diplomatically alarmed
I sulked away to lick my thin skin
And I'm not over you
I'm not over you
I'm not over you



   Very simple song, but note the easy G chord so Michael can switch easily from C to G. When he played the song live, he would stay on the D at the end instead of the return to C, but if you listen carefully to the album it's certainly a C before the last G. Make sure to hang on that first Am in the chorus ...

I'M NOT OVER YOU


Verse
e|-3---0-|
B|-0---1-|
G|-0---0-|
D|-0---2-|
A|-2---3-|
E|-3---0-|

Chorus
e|-0---0---2---0---2---0---0---0---3-|
B|-1---1---3---1---3---1---1---1---0-|
G|-2---2---2---2---2---2---0---0---0-|
D|-2---2---0---2---0---2---2---2---0-|
A|-0---0-------0-------0---3---3---2-|
E|-0---0-------0-------0---0---0---3-|


No comments:

Post a Comment