Sunday, April 1, 2018

UP: DAYSLEEPER

  This first release from the album always felt like a 'hey, we haven't changed' type of track. No Berry, no problem, still cranking out those adult contemporary hits! In fact, it reached #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart in the US. The lyric stems from a sign Michael saw on an NYC apartment door warning neighbors to be quiet for a 'daysleeper.' The elongated final chorus is fantastic and maybe the best part about the track after the quieted last verse. Michael says the character here is a woman who has to work long overnight hours and the song 'The Lifting' is the same character, but a sort of prequel as she attends a conference. This track came out at a time I was working a graveyard shift job and it really captures the feeling of being out of sync with the rest of humanity. I remember getting home at 7am, cracking open a beer and watching the morning risers head to work for the day. Then I set the ocean machine on white noise and crashed.



DAYSLEEPER
Receiving department, 3 a.m.
Staff cuts have socked up the overage
Directives are posted
No callbacks, complaints
Everywhere is calm

Hong Kong is present
Taipei awakes
All talk of circadian rhythm

I see today with a newsprint fray
My night is colored headache grey
Daysleeper
Daysleeper
Daysleeper

The bull and the bear are marking their territories
They're leading the blind with their international glories

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night

I see today with a newsprint fray
My night is colored headache grey
Don't wake me with so much
Daysleeper

I cried the other night
I can't even say why
Fluorescent flat caffeine lights
Its furious balancing

I'm the screen, the blinding light
I'm the screen, I work at night

I see today with a newsprint fray
My night is colored headache grey
Don't wake me with so much
The ocean machine is set to nine
I'll squeeze into heaven and valentine
My bed is pulling me
Gravity
Daysleeper
Daysleeper
Daysleeper
Daysleeper
Daysleeper


   Here's another classic pick. The fun here is the nice 3/4 waltz timing. It's a pick you can do a fun mini-strum with as you lift the finger off the g string--Peter also added this lift on the F chord live. I added a lot of fun little add ons here, including a strum to simulate the quiet verse (you could also strum the regular chords or continue picking like Peter did live), and the final organ walk-down transposed to guitar. Sorry not to go all out with the slide guitar, it's really just ambient here.

DAYSLEEPER


Verse
e|--------------|
B|----8-----8---|
G|---9-9-0-0----|
D|-10-----9-----|
A|--------------|
E|--------------|

Bridge to Chorus
e|-6---1---0---3---|
B|-8---3---1---3---|
G|-8---2---2---0---|
D|-8---0---3---0---|
A|-6-------0---2---|
E|-6-------0---3---|

Riff under Bridge to Chorus
G|-8-10>12-10-8-10-8-10>12-10-8-7-|

Chorus
e|-0---1---0---0---0---1---3--|
B|-1---3---1---0---1---2---3--|
G|-0---2---2---0---0---3---0--|
D|-2---0---2---2---2---0---0--|
A|-3-------0---2---3-------2--|
E|-0-------0---0---0-------3--|

Chorus Slide (Guitar Notes)
e|-------------|
B|-------------|
G|-5-7--5-7>12-|
D|----7--------|
A|-----7-------|
E|-------------|

Late Verse Zithery Strum
(Guitar)
e|-0---0---0---|
B|-x---x---x---|
G|-5---4---5---|
D|-5---5---5---|
A|-3---3---3---|
E|-0---0---0---|

Quiet Verse Riff
e|---------|
B|-8---8---|
G|--9-7-9--|

End Background Alarm/ Organ walk down for Guitar after final C
e|-12---|-----------------------------|
B|---13-|-13-12-10---------13---------|
G|------|---------12-10-9----12-9-----|
D|------|----------------12------10-9-|

End on C 

No comments:

Post a Comment