Friday, January 9, 2015

MONSTER: STRANGE CURRENCIES

  I used to have a love/hate relationship with this song. At the time it struck me as a particularly odious sell-out song. It was more arena rock than any track the band had released and it rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I also love the song--in fact, it's so beautiful and earnest, but it was the first song that didn't feel like R.E.M. yet it so amazingly R.E.M. Lately the idea that this album arose from the characters in Michael's mind has cemented the track as a classic. There was an interview in the FABLES era where Stipe claimed that the world was not ready for him and maybe this kind of song is what he meant and it's the gateway to the second half of the R.E.M. catalog, but the underlying theme of his original statement is not the world's comeuppance, but his own (another interpretation of that quote has to do with his non-lyrics during the band's early years).
   Make no mistake this is arena rock at it's finest, but Stipe delivers the lyrics unabashedly. What this song has that early R.E.M. does not is confidence. There is also confidence in the production value, for here is where Scott Litt's fifth album with the band really pays off. The build to this song is reminiscent to MAN ON THE MOON, while the gentle picking is pure EVERYBODY HURTS. What also makes this a landmark song for the band is that it is clearly a love song--like, seriously a prom dance type song. There is no getting around this.
  The lyrics have a sort of last ditch effort quality to them, a plea that this is actual, serious, real love, and not infatuation. The singer is not being taken seriously and this is possibly their last stand. Could you say no to this plea? Close to the 25th Anniversary lyrics, but I think there's a typo in the book with Confines vs Confined.



STRANGE CURRENCIES

I don't know why you're mean to me
When I call on the telephone
And I don't know what you mean to me
But I want to turn you on, turn you up, figure you out
I want to take you on

These words
You will be mine
These words
You will be mine all the time

The fool might be my middle name
But I'd be foolish not to say
I'm going to make whatever it takes
Ring you up, call you down, sign your name, secret love
Make it rhyme, take you in, and make you mine

These words
You will be mine
These words
You will be mine all the time
Oh

I tripped and fell
Did I fall
What I want to feel
I want to feel it now

You know with love come strange currencies
And here is my appeal
I need a chance, a second chance, a third chance, a fourth chance
A word, a signal, nod, a little breath
Just to fool myself, catch myself, and make it real
Real

These words
You will be mine
These words
You will be mine all the time
Oh

These words
You will be mine
These words
They haunt me, hunt me down, catch in my throat, make me pray
To say
Love's confined
Oh

  I remember after seeing the band on their UP tour that my friend asked me if Peter Buck was actually playing guitar anymore. This is the song he was talking about. If you watch their Monster tour, Peter focuses on the feedback and has Scott McCaughey pick his heart out. Plus, he seems to think picking below the bridge of the guitar is some amazing thing--it kind of adds to the song, but when you listen closely it's just picking that doesn't actually fit the melody. That said, I think it's awesome and if you are covering this song in a band that has two guitar players, you'd better do it!
  The feedback is really just a pedal effect with the chords. Check out live performances and you'll see that Buck doesn't even strum, he just hammers the chords.

STRANGE CURRENCIES

Intro/Verse
e|----------3-----3-----3-----3-----3-----------1-----3----|
B|-----------1---1-1-----1---1-1-----1---1--1--3-3---3-3---|
G|---------0--0-2---2--0--0-2---2--0--0-2--0--2---2-0---0--|
D|-2p0-0--2----3------2----3------2----3--2--0-----0-------|
A|----3--3-----------3-----------3-------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------|

Chorus
e|-0-0--3-3--1-1--0-0--1---1---3---3---|
B|-1--1-3--3-1--1-1--1-1----1--3----3--|
G|-0----0----2----0----2--2--2-0--0--0-|
D|-2----0----3----2----3-3-----0-0-----|
A|-3----2----3----3----3-------2-------|
E|-0----3----1----0----1-------3-------|

e|-0-0--3-3--1-1--0-0--1---1--1--1---3---3---|
B|-1--1-3--3-1--1-1--1-3----3--3--3--3----3--|
G|-0----0----2----0----2--2--2--2--2-0--0--0-|
D|-2----0----3----2----0-0-----------0-0-----|
A|-3----2----3----3------------------2-------|
E|-0----3----1----0------------------3-------|

Middle Bridge
e|-0-0---3-3---0-0---3-3---0-0---1-0-1---1--1--1---3---3----|
B|-1--1--3--3--1--1--3--3--1--1--1-1-3----3--3--3--3----3---|
G|-2---2-0---0-2---2-0---0-2---2-2-0-2--2--2--2--2-0--0--0--|
D|-2-----0-----2-----0-----2-----3-2-0-0-----------0--------|
A|-0-----2-----0-----2-----0-----3-3---------------2--------|
E|-0-----3-----0-----3-----0-----1-0---------------3--------|




2 comments:

  1. Monster was Litt's 5th album with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I get for writing off the top of my head ...

      Delete