Thursday, January 15, 2015

MONSTER: CIRCUS ENVY

  I can't say enough how much I enjoy the last two songs on MONSTER. There's something monstrous about jealousy and obsession that ties these two songs together at the end as perhaps the most troubling character songs on the album. Also, because of the seriousness of LET ME IN, these two songs are a welcome return to depravity--if that makes sense. This one in particular by tying the relationship to circus and carnival metaphors it conjures up feelings of training, captivity, and obedience. Plus the heavy bridge of being mean and teasing leads the song down some dark, dependent paths.
  So many errors in the lyrics in the 25th Anniversary printing. 'Pyro?' 'Telescope hid?' No. There's definitely revision happening and listen, the words are what he says they are--but they're not what's on the recording! Both remastered and remixed versions as well as live shows bear the lyrics below out. Why go on an interview tour decrying online lyrics (okay, some are much worse than mine) when you yourself are getting them incorrect?




CIRCUS ENVY
Here comes that awful feeling again
Welcome the ugly animal
I hold my breath to watch you swing
My high rope acrobat ball and chain
I'm not a freak
I messed it, messed it, messed it, messed it up

I've got my telescope head in the haystack
I'm getting tired of your dodge ball circus act
Put pepper in my coffee I forgot to bark
On command

Here comes that awful feeling again
Make way for monster jealousy
The strong man kicked sand into my breakfast cereal bowl
I'd spelled your name with Oatios
He messed it, messed it, messed it, messed it up

I've got my telescope head in the haystack
I am tired of your dodge ball circus act
Put pepper in my coffee I forgot to bark
On command

You mean, mean, mean
You tease, tease, tease me

If I were you I'd really run from me
I really really wish that I were you
When I get loose I'll climb a tree and drop a load on your head
This monster in me makes me retch
You messed it, messed it up

I've got my telescope head in the haystack
I am jealous of your dodge ball circus act
Put pepper in my coffee I forgot to bark
Put pepper in my coffee I forgot to bark
On command

You mean, mean, mean
You tease, tease, tease me

Do you smell jealousy?
Do you smell jealousy?
Jealousy
Jealousy


  Great fuzzy guitar on this one. I particularly like the middle bridge with its open chord and walkdown which is powerful, surprising, and pleasing all at once. Be sure to use the open G-String on the power chords to give the song a little bit of an 'off' sound. It was brought to my attention below that the verse likely has an open d string which pretty much ties my guitar 1 and 2 together, so I've put the option down. The chorus and bridge would be easy to find from there if you like tuning down! In later live shows, Peter plays more of a power chord on the 10th fret which does the same thing, but is a bit lazier. The second guitar here is on the recording to follow the bass line, but it goes away for the live shows.

CIRCUS ENVY
Verse Guitar 1
e|--------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
A|------------------------8-------|
E|-10-10-8-10---10-10-8-10-10-8---|

Verse Guitar 2
e|------------------------|
B|------------------------|
G|------------------------|
D|-----------------3------|
A|----3-5-------3-5-5-3---|
E|-5-5-------5-5----------|


Verse Guitar 3 (Dropped d option)
e|------------------------|
B|------------------------|
G|------------------------|
D|------------------3-----|
A|-0-0-3-5---0-0-3-5-5-3--|
D|-0-0-0-0---0-0-0-000-0--|

Chorus
e|-0---0---|
B|-0---0---|
G|-0---0---|
D|-7---5---|
A|-7---5---|
E|-5---3---|

Chorus Slide
e|--------------------|
B|--------------------|
G|--------------------|
D|-----------5-7>9-7--|
A|--------------------|
E|-3-5>7-5------------|

Middle Bridge/ Outro
e|--------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------|
G|-0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0--------|
D|-0---3---7--10---0---3---5---7--------|
A|-0---3---7--10---0---3---5---7-----3--|
E|-0---1---5---8---0---1---3---5--5-3---|





7 comments:

  1. Hi Barnaby, thanks for doing this project. It's really great. However, on this one, I think Peter is using the Dropped D tuning, DADGBE. He detunes the low E to D and that way you get that nasty low D tone in the bridge. The main riff would be like this:
    e----------------------------------
    B----------------------------------
    G----------------------------------
    D--0-0-10-12---0-0-10-12--15-12-10-
    A--0-0-10-12---0-0-10-12--15-12-10-
    D--0-0-10-12---0-0-10-12--15-12-10-

    It also sounds like another guitar may be playing it this way:
    D--12-12-10-12---12-12-10-12-15-12-10
    A--12-12-10-12---12-12-10-12-15-12-10-
    D--12-12-10-12---12-12-10-12-15-12-10-

    The chorus would still be A to G but you would finger them this way, low to high strings:
    A: 777xxx
    G: 555xxx

    Same for the bridge, it would still be D - F - A - C -- D - F - G - A but the fingerings would be like this:
    D: 000xxx
    F: 333xxx
    A: 777xxx
    D: 121212xxx
    G: 555xxx

    Live, he may have played it in standard tuning but I definitely think the recorded version uses the dropped D tuning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work, I think you're onto something here. It explains why there are 2 guitars I hear on the verse. By changing the tuning to a low D the Guitar 2 above gives you both lines. I'm less sold on all of the barred power chords you have as the open D pervades throughout the bridge and sounds good either way. I assume your 2nd 'D' above is supposed to be a 'C' at barred 10? In the 95 live tour he was definitely playing standard tuning, so I wonder if he had the standard on the studio track somewhere. Ultimately it's the same notes, but that open D string is extra crunchy ... really cool. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Just to nitpick, I think a few of your lyrics are off. They are much easier to hear in this "vocals only" version of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BenuylLbM9Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm ... the vocals only link is AMAZING ... thanks for the heads up! I've been wanting masters of these songs more particularly for Mills voice, but this is so great!

      Delete
    2. Glad you like it. That YouTube account has a ton of other REM vocal and instrumental stuff on it. I was blown away by some of it. Plus it should help you reassess some of the lyrical content you have on your site. Keep up the great work.

      Delete
    3. That link for the vocal only version is not available. Any else have a line on this? Message me at bluemookie at gmail dot com. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. That link for the vocal only version is not available. Any else have a line on this? Message me at bluemookie at gmail dot com. Thanks!

      Delete